Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Creating Poetic Cinema

I remember when Mary and I came to the University of Southern California to drop off my application. I had never been to the school before, and I felt like a child while walking around the massive campus. I couldn't believe such a school existed, and when I finally came across the building I was looking for, the Johnny Carson Sound Stage, I was mesmerized. I dropped off my application, walked out of the building, and began walking back to my car. In the meantime, we passed by the recently added buildings for the School of Cinematic Arts, in their new location. I couldn't believe my eyes. These buildings were all dedicated to the study of cinema? I knew I had to see what was inside of them and walk in their hallways. Mary finally asked me if I wanted to go in. I shook my head and said, "I'll go inside when I'm accepted to this school." I felt like that day would come, and when it eventually did, that's when Mary and I finally walked through the gates of the School of Cinematic Arts.

I didn't go back to USC until after I was officially accepted. Mary and I went to a screening of Grace, as I tried to accept the fact that I would start school there in a matter of months. I sat inside Norris Cinema watching Grace, trying to imagine having a class in such a theatre. These dreams became reality within a few months and I never for once took advantage of the journey. I still walk from the parking lot at school to these buildings, never forgetting all my hard work and dedication. I'm still mesmerized by these buildings and the numerous film posters that fill our hallways. I'm still fascinated and wide-eyed at all the films I see in my classes, and I still experience a rush when I'm required to make my own films. I was a kid with a dream and I worked as hard as I could to have those dreams realized.

I decided to enroll in a production course, open to both undergraduates and graduates, known as Creating Poetic Cinema, offered by Pablo Frasconi. In this class, we would try to understand what poetic cinema is, and try to apply it in our own films. I had the opportunity to work with some very talented students and see some terrific films in the class. I also had the opportunity to create four of my own films, including a short film that was shot entirely on 16mm. I was both excited and anxious to finally work with film, and the experience was a highlight in my life. On December 9, 2010, our professor chose several films from our class and presented them on campus. I had two of my films selected, including Carnaval, which was shot on 16mm and The Armenian and the Armenian.

I had several members of my family in attendance, as we watched the films at the Ray Stark Theatre in the George Lucas Building. I went from a young child who was fascinated by telling stories to attending USC School of Cinematic Arts and having my films play on the big screen. I love creating films and sharing them with people I know and love as well as people I have never met or seen. I enjoyed every minute of the evening and received some very positive remarks in regards to my films. I feel inspired to create more films, to share them with more people, and to continue living my dreams.

It's funny how life works, because everything and anything is possible in this world. I sat in the Ray Stark Theatre watching two of my films with my family, and this was everything I had hoped for in life. I finally made it inside USC School of Cinematic Arts, and now, I'm working hard to get back outside, in the real world.

4 comments:

  1. “Energy and persistence conquer all things.”
    You don't really express yourself much in person, but you write with your heart and soul. We all have faith and believe that you will someday accomplish every goal, and make your every dream become reality. When I sat down at the Ray Stark Theatre and watched your Films I just couldn't believe the talent. It was truly amazing and I'm looking forward for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anybody can direct a picture once they know the fundamentals. Directing is not a mystery, it's not an art. The main thing about directing is: photograph the people's eyes. You have that eye; you know how to use it. How do I know? Well, I can tell from your passionate dedication. Good luck on the rest of your journey. Your writing style and your devotion to success will get you far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love of filmmaking and film history is contagious and your inspirations and aspirations, very inspiring. Keep doing what you love. Practice and Passion will only get you closer to the ultimate Artist and His Art.

    ReplyDelete