Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Not What You Say, It's How You Say It!

If there's something we can all agree on, it's that sometimes a certain line from a film can be just as memorable as the film itself. For years, film lovers have been quoting their favorite lines from their favorite films. There's been a handful of famous quotes over the past few decades, including some from Gone with the Wind (1939), The Wizard of Oz (1939), and The Godfather (1972). It's never-ending and the list goes on, so here's a collection of some of my favorites.

I hope I have included several favorites of your own, and if not, I hope that some of them inspire you enough to want to watch the films. In fact, that's the magic of cinema – when a specific scene or sentence from a film can inspire! As always, feel free to share favorites of your own in the "Comments" section.

"Here's looking at you, kid." – Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine in Casablanca (1942)

"Well, I guess some like it hot." – Tony Curtis as Junior in Some Like It Hot (1959)

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." – Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas (1990)

"Shut up and deal!" – Shirley MacLaine as Fran Kubelik in The Apartment (1960)

"I did not have to go as far as I was prepared to go, but I was prepared to go all the way." – Ian Holm as Mitchell Stephens in The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

"A strange man... defecated on my sister." – Woody Allen as Clifford Stern in Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

"It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got, Harry? Hm? Why should I even make the bed or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone." – Ellen Burstyn as Sara Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream (2000)

"Shut up and deal!" – Shirley MacLaine in The Apartment (1960)


"I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people." – Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood (2007)

"You know what I expected? Applause. I was surprised by what happened. They didn't applaud." – Casey Affleck as Robert Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

"If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then–then, I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!" – Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

"Our teacher says that God loves the blind more because they can't see... but I told him if it was so, He would not make us blind so that we can't see Him. He answered, "God is not visible. He is everywhere. You can feel Him. You see Him through your fingertips." Now, I reach out everywhere for God until the day my hands touch HIm and tell Him everything, even all the secrets in my heart." – Mohsen Ramezani as Mohammad in The Color of Paradise (1999)

"If you win, you win. If you lose, you still win." – Joe Pesci as Joey LaMotta in Raging Bull (1980)

"I thought of that old joke, you know, the... this–this guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy... he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships, you know. They're totally irrational and crazy and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep going through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs." – Woody Allen as Alvy Singer in Annie Hall (1977)

"I'm pregnant." – Dianne Wiest as Holly in Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

"I could have gotten one more person, and I didn't... and I–I didn't." – Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List (1993)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, I read this over again, even though you already read it to us :]

    ReplyDelete